Saturday, January 31, 2015

For Another...

This week I found two Bible study contacts who had similar reasons for signing up for Bible studies.

I met Vicky from an interest that a canvasser got. She had been Christian her whole life, but in the recent years she had struggled to find a local church to go to. Not only that, but she also wanted her children to grow up in that environment. She signed up for Bible studies for her kids, not for herself.

While going door to door down the street from the church I met Laura. She almost has the exact same experience. She was catholic by faith, but didn't get a chance to attend a church in the area (busy with kids and life). She even expressed that she might convert. It was interesting to note that she thought the Bible studies were initially for her kids. They are toddlers. After clearing things up, I mention how the wonderful and loving church that I'm working with has a lively children's program. With this in mind, she also expresses her need for God to be in her relationships. She signs up for Bible studies... Only after having confidence that her children would also have something as well.

Two contacts, two situations, and two mothers whose hearts are filled with love. What do I mean by that? "Charity suffereth long, and is kind... seeketh not her own" (1 Cor 13:4, 5). These two contacts wanted God in their life for the sake of others! This, my friends, is what I believe the Christian walk is about... Others. If I stayed a Christian for myself, what's the point of that? So I can secure my salvation? One of the biggest motivating factors for me to continue on is others. Simply put, unselfish love. I think of my friends and family who haven't come to a relationship with Christ and it hurts. That's not enough. I think of the people in the community... Down the street, and this is part of why I stay a Christian.

Now, I want to ask you reader, why are you a Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment