Saturday, January 17, 2015

Listen to His Voice.

I was about to start knocking on doors one afternoon, but all my stuff was very disorganized. Now I should have straightened it up earlier, but the morning had been a little hectic, and, as a result, I was sitting on the sidewalk getting organized for a little while. I was getting frustrated with myself because I was taking so long.

As I am about to go to the first door, a car pulls rapidly into the driveway, a man jumps out, and he runs inside the house. My first thought is, "I must have been taking so long so that I can meet this man." But he is so rushed that I brush that thought off. I don't want to inconvenience him and hold him up from his appointment, so I just told myself that I would just talk to his wife after he left. He rushes out of his house, jumps into his car, and drives off. Now remember, this whole time I am on the sidewalk right in front of his house just standing there.

Then I hear a car reversing and Oscar calls out, "Hey do you need any help? Are you lost?" At that moment it hits me. Why hadn't I talked to him? First, I was too busy doing stuff that could have waited ten minutes. Second, I didn't want to inconvenience him. Silly thinking--to put it mildly. I am here to help people get to know Jesus better and I am too busy and don't want to inconvenience him! What was I thinking?

I tell Oscar that I am not lost, but am a Christian missionary offering free Bible studies in his neighborhood. He responds that he is Christian and loves studying the Bible! He hasn't found a church that he likes though. On the passenger seat of his car is a piece of his Bible; he reads it so much that it has fallen apart. He signs up for personal Bible studies and then speeds off to his appointment.

As he left, I reflected on the divine appointment I almost missed because of my own selfishness. If he hadn't backed up, I wouldn't have talked to him. But God knew that it was a lesson I needed to have reinforced and it was a huge rebuke to me. Yes I might be inconveniencing someone else and myself right now, but what is that in comparison to eternity. The books we carry and the Bible studies we offer will change people's lives bringing them into a relationship with Jesus. Nothing, absolutely nothing is more important than that! I am thankful that God is merciful and works with our weaknesses giving us experiences such as these to strengthen our connection with Him.

Next time God impresses you to hand a piece of literature to someone, talk to someone, or help someone out, don't hesitate to do it. It doesn't matter if it is awkward, embarrassing, or inconvenient. Remember--what is that in light of eternity? God might just be leading you to a divine appointment just like Oscar. You can never go wrong when you follow the voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment